Showing 2976 results

Authority record
no2020059431 · Corporate body

The South Dakota State Climate Office serves as the official source of climate and drought information for the state. The office provides climate data, analytical tools, outlooks, and related resources to support informed decision-making across multiple sectors.

Its services are used by individuals and organizations involved in agriculture, industry, public safety, and other areas of public interest. Climate information and resources are distributed through a variety of platforms, including websites, social media, and print and electronic publications, ensuring broad public access to current climate information.

Local authority · Corporate body

The Athenian Literary Society was organized in 1887 or 1888 at South Dakota Agricultural College as an outgrowth of the earlier Lyceum literary society. Formed by a group of students following a division within the Lyceum, the society was officially chartered in 1888 by the Dakota Territorial Legislature. Although initially limited in membership, the organization soon granted women full membership rights. The society was established to promote the development of skills in oratory, debate, literature, and extemporaneous speaking while also providing structured social activities for students.

Weekly meetings featured essays, debates, declamations, speeches, musical performances, and other literary exercises. Along with the Miltonian Society, the Athenian Literary Society remained active for approximately three decades and was a prominent student organization during the institution’s early development.

Local authority · Corporate body

The Committee on Scholastic Affairs at South Dakota State University served as a central body in the oversight of student academic standing and policy administration. Established in the early twentieth century as part of the university’s developing governance structure, the committee reviewed matters related to grade appeals, academic probation, withdrawals, absences, transfers, and other issues affecting student progress. Through its recommendations and decisions, the committee played a significant role in shaping institutional standards for academic performance and student accountability.

As faculty governance evolved at SDSU, the Committee on Scholastic Affairs functioned as a key mechanism for balancing institutional policy with individual student circumstances. Its work reflects broader changes in higher education administration, including increasing formalization of academic procedures and due process in student affairs. The committee’s history illustrates the university’s ongoing commitment to structured academic oversight and consistent application of scholastic regulations.

Local authority · Corporate body

The Practice Cottage, later known as the Home Management, was an early instructional facility at South Dakota State College used to support hands on training in household management for students in the home economics curriculum. Photographic and archival records indicate that the Practice Cottage was in use by at least 1920. Distinct from Woodbine Cottage, which served as the college president’s residence, the Practice Cottage functioned as a living laboratory where students applied classroom instruction through daily responsibilities such as meal preparation, cleaning, budgeting, and hosting.

The cottage reflected broader national trends in early 20th century home economics education, which emphasized scientific and practical approaches to household management. As part of the college’s commitment to experiential learning, the Practice Cottage played a central role in educating generations of students during the 1920s and 1930s. Its use illustrates the integration of academic instruction with real world practice and highlights the importance of applied training within South Dakota State College’s home economics program.

n 86106941 · Corporate body

The South Dakota State Poetry Society was founded by Dr. James C. Lindberg of Northern State College and formally organized in Huron on October 5, 1927 in the Marvin Hughitt Hotel. The first officers of the organization were: Dr. Lindberg, President; Gertrude B. Gunderson of Mitchell, Vice President; and Ethelyn Miller Hartwich of Huron, Secretary. The stated purpose of the society is to encourage and foster the writing and publication of poetry by South Dakota writers. The organization was registered as a Nonprofit Corporation with the South Dakota Secretary of State on September 22, 1970.

Dr. Lindberg developed the first South Dakota Poetry magazine, Pasque Petals, which was made the official publication of the poetry society at its organizing meeting. Publication began in May of 1926 and continues today. It is the oldest poetry journal in continuous publication in the National Federation of State Poetry Societies.

South Dakota State Poetry Society is directed by a board made up of nine South Dakota poets who select an editor for Pasque Petals, oversee the annual national competition of poetry, and recommend the South Dakota Poet Laureate to the Governor. The current Poet Laureate is Lee Ann Roripaugh of Vermillion. The Poet Laureate post was a lifetime appointment until a recent change in state law that sets a four-year term.

Past Poet Laureates are:

  • Badger Clark, 1928-1957
  • Adeline Jenny, 1958-1973
  • Mabel Frederick, 1973
  • Audrae Visser, 1974-2001
  • David Allan Evans, 2002-2014
n 80089488 · Corporate body

South Dakota State University (SDSU) originated in 1881, when the Dakota Territory legislature authorized the establishment of a land-grant agricultural college under the provisions of the Morrill Act. The first campus building was completed in 1883, and the institution gradually broadened its academic scope beyond agriculture as South Dakota approached statehood.

In 1904 the school was renamed South Dakota State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, reflecting its expanding programs in science, engineering, and the liberal arts. Over the following decades it continued to grow in size, mission, and research activity.

The institution achieved full university status in 1964, becoming South Dakota State University. Today SDSU offers comprehensive undergraduate and graduate programs, including doctoral degrees, and continues to advance its land-grant mission through teaching, research, Extension, and service to the people of South Dakota.

Local authority · Corporate body

In 2006, South Dakota State University (SDSU) celebrated its 125th anniversary, marking a significant milestone in the institution’s long-standing service to education, research, and community development. To plan and coordinate the commemoration, the university established the 125th Anniversary Planning Committee, which was tasked with organizing a yearlong series of events, publications, and initiatives that reflected the institution’s legacy and accomplishments since its founding in 1881.

The committee was chaired by Carol J. Peterson, with University President Peggy Gordon Miller and Presidents Emeriti Sherwood Berg and Robert Wagner serving as honorary co-chairs. Its membership represented a broad cross-section of SDSU’s community, including faculty, staff, students, administrators, and alumni. Members included Joel Hefling, Edward P. Hogan, Wesley Tschetter, Padmanaban Krishnan, Deb Gulbranson, V.J. Smith, Carolyn Clague, Stephen Van Buren, Barbara Hartinger, David Marquardt, John Miller, Steve Marquardt, Laurie Nichols, Michele Sage, Adam Karnopp, Jennifer Crickard (staff), Emery Tschetter (staff), Adam Zobel (student), and Cy Fixen (student).

Together, this diverse group worked to ensure that the 125th anniversary observance was both celebratory and substantive, encompassing a wide range of commemorative activities that honored SDSU’s past while inspiring future growth. Their work culminated in public events, gala celebrations, outreach programs, exhibitions, memorabilia, and historical documentation projects, many of which engaged alumni and communities across South Dakota.

The records produced by the committee including correspondence, minutes, audiovisual media, publications, and memorabilia are preserved in the SDSU Archives and Special Collections, providing a lasting resource for understanding the university’s heritage and the planning of major institutional milestones.

Local authority · Corporate body

The Administrative Council was established in 1942 as the successor to the Council of Deans, which had originated in 1923 as the Committee of Deans. The earlier body was composed of the deans of academic areas, including the colleges and the Deans of Men and Women. It handled decisions related to campus regulations, student requests to exceed course loads, absences, disciplinary matters, vocational course implementation, and adjustments to course credits. It also approved candidates for degrees and set the academic calendar. Although the president’s name appears frequently in the minutes, it is not clear whether he attended all meetings.

The renaming to Administrative Council did not involve a change in function, and its responsibilities and discussion topics remained consistent. By the mid-1950s, membership expanded to include faculty representatives from the Faculty Association.

By 1955, the Faculty Handbook described the Administrative Council as meeting weekly with the president to address matters of administration and policy raised either by the president or by council members. Although not formally defined as a decision-making body, it continued to carry out such functions. The university president served as chair. This description remained in the handbook until 1970, when the newly formed Academic Senate assumed the Council’s policy-making and decision-making responsibilities.

n 87131387 · Corporate body

The South Dakota State University Alumni Association originated in 1889, when sixteen members of the graduating class of Dakota Agricultural College organized an association to maintain unity among graduates and strengthen ties between alumni and the institution. Early efforts to sustain alumni engagement included organized correspondence and publications, with formal outreach beginning in 1908–1909 under the leadership of Professor B. T. Whitehead. In 1910, the association launched the Alumnus newsletter, edited by Hubert B. Mathews, establishing a communication tradition that later evolved into STATE Magazine. Alumni involvement also contributed to the development of campus traditions, including early support for Hobo Day activities beginning in 1912.

During the mid to late twentieth century, the Alumni Association expanded its organizational structure and physical presence. In 1962, it adopted a resolution supporting the institution’s name change to South Dakota State University, an effort widely attributed to alumni advocacy. After operating from multiple locations, the association pursued a permanent headquarters, resulting in the dedication of the Tompkins Alumni Center in 1976. Subsequent enhancements included a patio and clock tower addition in 1980. In 1992, the Alumni Association incorporated as an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. It later undertook major initiatives such as the Return to Glory campaign, which funded the restoration of the Coughlin Campanile and culminated in its rededication in 2001. The association expanded digital outreach in the early 2000s, established the Jackrabbit Advocates in 2008 to support legislative advocacy for public higher education, and completed renovations to the Tompkins Alumni Center in 2010, including the creation of the Paul Freeburg Archives Room.

In January 2026, the South Dakota State University Alumni Association formally consolidated with the South Dakota State University Foundation to create the SDSU Alumni & Foundation. This merger unified alumni relations and philanthropic advancement under a single organizational structure, reflecting a coordinated approach to alumni engagement, fundraising, and long term institutional support for South Dakota State University.

Local authority · Corporate body

The American Indian and Indigenous Studies program at South Dakota State University is designed to provide students with a broad understanding of Indigenous values, histories, and communities in the United States. The program emphasizes both historical and contemporary Indigenous experiences, with coursework addressing Indigenous histories, languages, arts, sovereignty, social and political issues, and present day circumstances. As a small academic program, it allows students to identify individual areas of interest and pursue undergraduate research related to Indigenous topics. Students who complete the program earn a Bachelor of Arts degree and are prepared for careers serving Indigenous communities, including work in tribal or federal agencies. Study within the program supports cultural understanding and responds to the need for multicultural awareness in higher education.

In 1994, the minor was renamed the American Indian Studies minor, coinciding with the introduction of Lakota language courses. In 2013, the university began offering a Bachelor of Arts in American Indian Studies. The major and minor have continued to support a comprehensive understanding of American Indian experiences. In 2021, the program was renamed the American Indian and Indigenous Studies Program.

Local authority · Corporate body

The Native American Club was first organized in 1992 under the leadership of Jack Marken, Head of the English Department. The club was established with four primary objectives. These objectives included hosting prospective Native American students, providing academic support through tutoring, offering a space for Native American students to engage with their culture, and promoting cultural awareness through programs and activities for the South Dakota State University and Brookings communities.

The Native American Club sponsored a wide range of activities and events, including hand games tournaments, Indian taco sales, basketball tournaments, and Indigenous conferences. The organization is best known for establishing the South Dakota State University Wacipi. The club held its first contest Wacipi in 1977. After a hiatus, the contest resumed in 1990 and has since been held annually as a Native American Club event.

In 2015, the Native American Club changed its name to the American Indian Student Association. Following the name change, the scope of the organization’s objectives was reduced. The American Indian Student Association no longer hosted prospective Native American students or provided tutoring services. The association continues to provide a welcoming space for Native American students and to support cultural awareness programs and activities.

Local authority · Corporate body

The American Indian Education and Cultural Center first opened in 2010 and was located on the southwest side of campus near the Academic Evaluation and Assessment Building and the Jerome J. Lohr Building. The center was established with three primary purposes: to recruit Native American students to the university, to support the retention of Native American students, and to assist Native American students in completing their college degrees.

In 2016, the center was renamed the American Indian Student Center under the direction of April Eastman. At that time, the center relocated to the lower level of Enrollment Services due to construction of the Alumni Center on the site formerly occupied by the American Indian Education and Cultural Center. In 2017, the American Indian Student Center received $4.5 million in donor funding to support the creation of a new facility for Native American students. In 2020, the center moved to its current location just south of the Rotunda.

The American Indian Student Center continues to support the original purposes of the American Indian Education and Cultural Center while expanding its focus on student retention. Services provided include tutoring, access to computers, financial assistance, drum rooms, art rooms, and study spaces. The center also supports Indigenous student organizations by providing meeting space, assistance with event planning, and guidance on club activities. In collaboration with the Native American Club, the American Indian Student Center has helped coordinate events such as the South Dakota State University Wacipi Powwow, which provides opportunities for Indigenous and non Indigenous participants to engage in traditional dances and cultural experiences.

n 79014912 · Corporate body

Since 1887, the Animal Disease Research & Diagnostic Laboratory has maintained a tradition of providing quality veterinary diagnostic services to the state and region. As one of only 42 North American laboratories that are fully accredited by the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, the laboratory serves animal owners by acting as a reference laboratory for animal health professionals and state/federal regulatory officials. This rigorous accreditation standard is compliant with international expectations as laid out by the OIE, thus ensuring trade markets are available to their clients.

As a reference laboratory, they provide the precise detailed animal disease information that is needed for those in charge of managing, treating and preventing diseases of animals. Many of the diseases the laboratory deal with are also potential human diseases, and thus the lab also plays a significant service role for public health surveillance. The laboratory serves all companion and food animal owners by working with their local veterinarian.

The laboratory continues as a member of the USDA National Animal Health Network (NAHLN), a member of the USDA/FDA Food Emergency Response Network (FERN), and a member of the DHHS/FDA Veterinary Laboratory Reference Network (Vet-LRN).

Local authority · Corporate body

The Career Center at South Dakota State University, formerly known as the Career and Academic Planning Center, developed as a centralized resource to support student career planning and professional development. Records indicate active operations from at least 1975 through 2008. The office provided career counseling, interest and skills assessments, and workshops focused on career exploration and employment preparation. It also coordinated job fairs, etiquette dinners, and related programming designed to connect students with employment opportunities.

The office maintained a Career Resource Library containing information on more than 21,000 careers, major employers, academic majors, and employment outcomes for graduates. It facilitated experiential education programs that integrated classroom learning with supervised work experience in business, industry, and government settings. Services included assistance with resume development, interview preparation, and job placement for part time, summer, internship, and full time positions. The center also offered a two credit course, Mastering Lifetime Learning Skills, and provided support services related to tutoring and test anxiety. In its later form as the Office of Career Development, the unit continued to serve students, alumni, and employers through coordinated career development services.

Local authority · Corporate body

The Centennial Steering Committee was established on July 16, 1979, to oversee the planning and execution of South Dakota State University’s Centennial Celebration in 1981. H.M. Briggs, President Emeritus of SDSU, served as Chairman, while former Vice President David Pearson was appointed Vice-Chairman. The committee was composed of representatives from various academic and administrative units across campus, as well as individuals from outside the university community. Its first meeting took place on July 21, 1980.

At the inaugural meeting, Briggs outlined the committee’s responsibilities and emphasized that each member would also serve as chair of a corresponding sub-committee aligned with their area of university involvement. The Steering Committee organized into multiple sub-committees to handle specialized components of the celebration, such as publications, events, and departmental participation. Each sub-committee was tasked with developing programming and executing their portion of the centennial.

Committee members received stipends from the university to support their planning work, with financial support increasing as needs evolved. While sub-committees carried out much of the programmatic work, the Centennial Office, staffed by Briggs and office assistant Yvonne Ehlebracht, handled the committee’s day-to-day operations. The office coordinated budgeting, recordkeeping, logistical arrangements, and meeting planning, and also managed a majority of the outgoing and incoming correspondence related to the Centennial.

n 82277945 · Corporate body

The college’s academic program is twofold, encompassing both traditional agriculture and the biological sciences. Agricultural work spans four primary areas: academic programs, research, extension, and statewide services. Research and investigations address issues in livestock, natural resources, field crops, veterinary science, horticulture, agricultural economics, dairy, landscape design, and mechanized agriculture. These findings inform classroom instruction, extension work, and public inquiries. The Extension Service disseminates research findings statewide, bringing applied knowledge directly to communities.

Biological sciences are primarily conducted within the departments of biology/microbiology and wildlife and fisheries sciences. These disciplines are integral to all departments focused on plant and animal sciences.

no2004109727 · Corporate body

The College of Arts and Sciences originated as the General Sciences Course. Beginning in 1884, students could earn a Bachelor of Science degree by taking courses rather than selecting majors—in subjects such as English and rhetoric, Latin, French, German, history, philosophy, physical science, mineralogy and geology, biological science, metallurgy, mathematics, and music. There were no departmental administrators or a dean until 1924, when the General Science Division was established. In 1953, applied arts were added to its title. Following the institution’s transition to university status, the Division of Science and Applied Arts became the College of Arts and Sciences.

The College of Arts and Sciences fulfills two key roles at the university: it provides instruction in the university’s general education core and offers disciplinary education in the arts and sciences.

Today, the College includes fifteen departments offering major and minor programs leading to one of three undergraduate degrees. Additionally, five departments in other colleges offer programs administered through the College of Arts and Sciences.

no2019182913 · Corporate body

South Dakota State University has long served as a training ground for educators, although teacher preparation was not a primary focus in its earliest years. Many early graduates became teachers, and students frequently taught in rural schools during college breaks. The first formal teacher preparation program was established in 1904 as the Department of Latin and Pedagogy. In 1906, it was reorganized as the Department of Philosophy, incorporating courses in the history and methods of education alongside philosophy and psychology. A distinct Department of Education was created in 1913, adding professional education courses to the curriculum.

In 1924, with the university’s reorganization into divisions, the Department of Education was placed within the General Science Division, which later became the College of Arts and Science. This college oversaw education until 1975, when the Division of Education became an autonomous unit. In 1989, it was restructured as the College of Education and Counseling, coordinating all professional education programs at the university.

The College of Education and Counseling later merged with the College of Family and Consumer Sciences to form the College of Education and Human Sciences. The college now offers 15 majors and 22 minors in areas such as consumer sciences, counseling and human development, health and nutritional sciences, and teaching, learning, and leadership.

Corporate body

The College of Family and Consumer Sciences at South Dakota State University developed from one of the institution’s earliest academic initiatives aligned with its land grant mission. Instruction began in 1885 with the establishment of a four year program in Domestic Economy, making South Dakota State College one of the first land grant institutions to create a formal home economics department. The curriculum combined scientific training with liberal and practical education, preparing students, particularly women, for leadership in home and family management. Renamed Home Economics by 1915, the program expanded significantly following the Smith Lever Act and Smith Hughes Act, which strengthened extension and vocational education. By the 1920s, coursework in nutrition, clothing, design, home management, and child development supported growing enrollment and statewide influence, particularly through teacher preparation and public school service.

The division evolved steadily through the mid 20th century, adding child development in 1945, technical journalism in 1946, and graduate instruction in 1952. When South Dakota State College became a university in 1962, the unit was elevated to the College of Home Economics. Continued curricular development led to a core curriculum in 1975 and expanded specialized programs in education, extension, human services, and interior design. In 1994, the college was renamed the College of Family and Consumer Sciences to reflect national disciplinary trends and an emphasis on the relationships among individuals, families, and their environments.

Organizational restructuring in the early 21st century marked a significant transition. In 2009, the College of Family and Consumer Sciences merged with the College of Education and Counseling to form the College of Education and Human Sciences. Subsequent consolidations brought together programs in health, nutrition, consumer sciences, and recreation, culminating in the creation of the School of Health and Consumer Sciences in 2022. Further restructuring in 2024 resulted in the School of Health and Human Sciences, while the Consumer Affairs program was transferred to the Ness School of Management and Economics. Although the College of Family and Consumer Sciences no longer exists as a standalone unit, its academic legacy continues through these successor programs, maintaining a longstanding commitment to applied science, education, and service that supports families, communities, and human well being.

no2004109731 · Corporate body

Nursing education at South Dakota State College began in 1935, when the institution established a Department of Nursing under the Division of Pharmacy at the request of the South Dakota Nurses’ Association. Leila Given served as the first director, and the first nursing degree was awarded in 1936 to Rachel Hasle. Under the leadership of Martha Krause from 1939 to 1943 and R. Esther Erickson from 1943 to 1954, the program expanded but continued as a five year course that relied on a cooperative arrangement with Sioux Valley Hospital in Sioux Falls for clinical training.

A four year nursing program was introduced in 1952, while clinical education continued at Sioux Valley Hospital under joint oversight with Augustana College. Public Health and Rural Nursing components were added in 1954. In 1955, Helen Gilkey was appointed director, contractual relationships with Sioux Valley Hospital were ended, and new clinical sites were developed throughout South Dakota and Minnesota. The following year, the Department of Nursing was elevated to divisional status, becoming the Division of Nursing with Gilkey as its first dean. In 1957, the division relocated to Solberg Hall, the former Engineering Building.

The Division of Nursing received national accreditation from the National League for Nursing in May 1960 and has maintained continuous accreditation since that time. When South Dakota State College became South Dakota State University in 1964, the division was redesignated as the College of Nursing. The Board of Regents subsequently authorized the creation of three departments within the college: Nursing, Health Science, and Continuing Education. In 1969, the college moved into the newly constructed Home Economics Nursing Building, which provided expanded instructional and laboratory space. The Department of Health Science offered majors and minors in areas such as public health and environmental health, while Continuing Education supported professional development through workshops for healthcare practitioners.

In 1977, clinical education was consolidated entirely within South Dakota following a review of clinical placements. That same year, the Board of Regents approved the development of a Master of Science in Nursing and an extended baccalaureate program for registered nurses in western South Dakota. Between 1978 and 1980, the college secured legislative and federal funding to support the implementation of graduate education, including a grant from the Advanced Nurse Training Program. By the late 1990s, the College of Nursing was organized into four departments: Undergraduate Nursing, Graduate Nursing, Research and Special Services, and West River Nursing. Academic offerings included Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in Nursing, with an optional Health Science minor, and programs were approved by the South Dakota Board of Nursing and accredited by the National League for Nursing.

Local authority · Corporate body

Pharmacy instruction at South Dakota State College began in 1887 with coursework in subjects including physics, algebra, bookkeeping, chemistry, materia medica, botany, physiology, hygiene, and pharmacy. The early program was designed to prepare students to work as druggists, and the first pharmacy degrees were awarded in 1893. A four-year curriculum option was introduced by 1898 and became the required standard by 1930.

Between 1931 and 1970, the program expanded its professional scope. During this period, the college established the Tau Chapter of Rho Chi, a pharmacy honor society; initiated a continuing education program for practicing pharmacists; adopted a five-year pharmacy curriculum; and introduced an externship program to provide experiential training. By the 1996–1998 academic bulletin, the College of Pharmacy had transitioned to a six-year Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program, comprising a two-year pre-pharmacy sequence grounded in biological and physical sciences and a four-year professional phase integrating pharmaceutical sciences, therapeutics, and professional practice.

The mission of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions emphasizes preparation of graduates with primary care skills focused on the rational use of medications and therapies to achieve optimal patient outcomes. The College also aims to foster lifelong learning and a professional commitment to service and improvement within the field.

n 80119607 · Corporate body

The Cooperative Extension Service at South Dakota State University traces its roots to the late 1880s, when local farmers began seeking agricultural advice from college experts. Early outreach took the form of Farmers’ Institutes, which began in 1888 as formal meetings to share best practices in crop and livestock production. These institutes evolved from local agricultural gatherings that had been held in the Dakota Territory since around 1880. By the 1890s, state legislation provided modest financial support, and the Agricultural College was authorized to hold institutes statewide. However, it was the passage of the Smith-Lever Act by Congress in 1914 that fundamentally reshaped agricultural extension work across the country.

Under the Smith-Lever Act, a cooperative system was established between the U.S. Department of Agriculture, state colleges, and local communities to deliver agricultural education and demonstration programs. South Dakota appointed its first county agent in Brown County in 1912, under an early partnership between the USDA, the Better Farming Association, and South Dakota State College. By 1914, the college formalized its agreement with the USDA to create a Division of Extension, laying the groundwork for federally supported extension activities across the state.

Initially, the Extension Service provided direct, individualized support to farmers and homemakers. Over time, it shifted toward working with organized groups and associations. Early on, the Farm Bureau Federation was closely tied to extension efforts, with the Extension Service playing an active role in organizing local bureaus. However, as concerns grew over the blending of public service and organizational advocacy, the formal partnership ended in 1935.

Two major areas of Extension focus have been youth and family programs. Boys’ and girls’ club work, which began in 1913, later evolved into the 4-H program, supported by Smith-Lever funding. Home demonstration work, initially offered through the Farmers’ Institutes, became a formal part of Extension, addressing topics ranging from poultry care and home cooking techniques to nutrition and clothing. Women served as early demonstrators before the establishment of regular home demonstration agent positions.

Specialists within the Extension Service have complemented the work of county agents by providing expertise in areas such as dairy production, livestock breeding, farm management, and construction. This combination of generalist and specialist services allowed the Extension Service to meet a wide range of technical and practical needs across the agricultural sector.

Today, the mission of the Cooperative Extension Service is to extend research-based knowledge and leadership practices to individuals, families, and communities across South Dakota. As the off-campus educational arm of the College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences and the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, the Extension Service works to improve agricultural practices and strengthen family and community life statewide. Through its agents and specialists, and using media such as print, radio, television, satellite communication, and in-person outreach, the Cooperative Extension Service brings the resources of South Dakota State University to every community, helping South Dakotans meet the challenges of change in farming, ranching, home life, and beyond.

Local authority · Corporate body

The primary responsibility of the Curricula Evaluation Committee was to conduct an internal evaluation of South Dakota State University's doctoral program as part of the accreditation process during the mid to late 1960s. The committee's work contributed to institutional self-assessment efforts and helped ensure that SDSU’s graduate-level programs met the standards required by accrediting bodies.

no2019189580 · Corporate body

The Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering at South Dakota State University was formally established in 1925, building on earlier coursework in civil and agricultural engineering offered beginning in 1902. Created to support the modernization of agriculture, the department initially focused on mechanization as farming transitioned from horse drawn equipment to tractor based systems. Jointly administered by the Colleges of Agriculture and Engineering, the department expanded over time in response to changing agricultural practices, research needs, and technological advances.

In 1999, the department was renamed Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering to reflect its broadened emphasis on biological systems, environmental management, and sustainable technologies. Entering the 21st century, the department’s teaching and research increasingly addressed precision agriculture, water management, and data driven agricultural systems, supported by modern facilities such as the Raven Precision Agriculture Center. Celebrating its centennial in 2025, the department’s administrative history reflects a continuous evolution from mechanization to integrated, technology focused approaches to agriculture, while maintaining close ties to industry and applied research.

no2019187558 · Corporate body

Courses related to animal science have long been offered at South Dakota State University. In the early years, instruction focused primarily on livestock, with separate departments often dedicated to specific animal types, such as poultry. General animal science courses were taught across various departments. Over time, departmental specialization declined, and these programs were eventually consolidated. The department's scope expanded to include rangeland management.

Today, the Department of Animal Science offers a Bachelor of Science degree with majors in animal science or range science. The curriculum prepares students for careers in livestock production, agricultural business, farming and ranching, and natural resource management on both private and public lands, as well as for graduate study.

no2020062727 · Corporate body

Instruction in apparel, fashion, and interior design at South Dakota State University developed to prepare students for professional careers that combine creative practice with analytical and business skills. Programs in Fashion Studies and Retail Merchandising emphasize the cultural, scientific, and commercial dimensions of apparel and textiles, including design, product development, merchandising, consumer behavior, and supply chain processes. Coursework integrates historical, aesthetic, economic, sociological, and psychological perspectives, and requires substantial experiential learning through a supervised practicum. Resources such as the Snellman Hsia Collection and Laboratory support the study of historic costume and textiles as part of the academic program.

Interior design education at SDSU focuses on technical competence, design thinking, and the functional and aesthetic planning of interior environments. The accredited curriculum emphasizes studio based problem solving and prepares students for work in residential, commercial, and specialized design settings. Together, these programs have been administered through academic units that reflect a multidisciplinary approach, including affiliations with the School of Design and the School of Health and Human Sciences. Departmental partnerships, such as participation in visiting scholar programs at the Fashion Institute of Technology, further support professional preparation and external engagement within the fields of apparel merchandising and interior design.

Local authority · Corporate body

Instruction in the biological sciences at South Dakota State University began in 1885, with the first student graduating in the field in 1888. When academic departments were formally established in 1897, biology was not included. Instead, related subjects such as zoology, botany, and entomology were taught through various departments. A combined Department of Botany and Biology was established in 1966, but an independent Department of Biology was not created until 1980.

Today, the Department of Biology and Microbiology offers undergraduate curricula leading to a Bachelor’s degree in biology. Students may choose between two programs: one offered through the College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences (Biological Sciences curriculum) and the other through the College of Arts and Sciences. The programs are academically identical, differing only in college-specific requirements. Within the major, students may select an area of emphasis based on their interests and career goals. The Biology emphasis prepares students for a broad range of careers in the biological sciences. The Botany emphasis focuses on plant science, supporting careers in research and industry. The Zoology emphasis centers on the scientific study of animals and provides a foundation for fields such as medicine, veterinary science, and oceanography. The Pre-professional emphasis is designed for students intending to pursue admission to professional health science programs.

Local authority · Corporate body

In the 1884–85 catalog, chemistry was listed under the Department of Natural Sciences as part of the agriculture curriculum. Three courses were offered: elementary chemistry, analytical chemistry, and agricultural chemistry. By 1892, all students were required to complete three terms of elementary chemistry, while analytical and agricultural chemistry were available as electives.

Chemistry first appeared as an independent department in the 1897–98 catalog, with a significantly expanded curriculum. Course offerings continued to grow, with new courses added regularly every few years. In 1944, the department’s professional curriculum received approval from the American Chemical Society.

Following World War II, increased enrollment led to the expansion of departmental staff. By 1958, the department was authorized to offer a Ph.D. in biochemistry, and in 1965, Ph.D. programs were approved in most branches of chemistry. The Biochemistry Experiment Station, established in 1887, remained separate until it merged with the Chemistry Department on July 1, 1974.

In the 1998–2000 catalog, the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry was listed as approved by the American Chemical Society for training professional chemists. In addition to the B.S. in chemistry, the department offers coursework to support other disciplines, a minor in chemistry, and graduate programs leading to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees.