Brookings (South Dakota)

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Brookings (South Dakota)

Equivalent terms

Brookings (South Dakota)

Associated terms

Brookings (South Dakota)

728 Finding Aid results for Brookings (South Dakota)

728 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

1040 9th Avenue

Morehouse Addition Block 13 - Lots A & B or portions of these lots. This address is for the South Half of the South 100 feet. The North Half of the South 100 feet is 1044 9th Avenue. The North 60 feet of Lot 4 - Block 13 has a 11th Street address.

524 3rd Street

1902 George Morehouse The original construction on this building was built for George Morehouse in 1902 at the cost of $18,000 and a barn for $2,200.

George Morehouse and his brother William H. Morehouse were founder of the first Banking business, established March 22, 1880. It was a private Bank until it incorporated as the Bank of Brookings in 1884. This Bank was located at 311 Main Avenue. In 1895 George Morehouse organized the Brookings Land & Trust Co. at the same address.

George Morehouse, born at Holley, Orleans County, New York. He died Nov. 5, 1903 at Brookings S. D. He came to Brookings from Jamesville, Bremer County Iowa in 1880. He was well known and contributed much to the city of Brookings. He was one of the earliest members of the Baptist Church. He was a member of the Brookings Lodge A. F. & A. M., served on the board of regents of the Dakota Agricultural College in Brookings. He was also a member of the board of education for several years.

He married Miss Anna B. Crosby in August of 1867 of Belvidere, Illinois. They had one son Henry Clayton Morehouse.

This building was converted into an apartment house in 1936 or 1937. Frank Revel, the owner at this time, saw the need for this addition during the depression. These were tough times for people, so anyone contributing to the building expansion would receive negotiable rent. Revel believed in the progressiveness of that time and felt the home was large enough and in a good location for an apartment house of this kind. There are 13 apartments in the building at the present time.

The entryway features the original oak woodwork. The front door is new and the steps leading up to it are poured cement. On the front facade on the first floor there are a total of six windows, one small square window, two large double hung sash windows then the front porch entrance. Two more double hung sash windows and then another small square window. The basement is above ground and there are seven small square windows in front, three on each side of the front porch and one is located behind the front porch steps. The second and third floor windows are in the same line, size and sequence as they are on the first floor on the front facade. Above the porch entrance on the second floor there is a large picture window that has 1/4 top leaded glass design. The third floor has a long horizontal leaded glass window above the picture window. Above the third floor decorative window is a small circular window. There is a side entrance on the east axial side. The windows on the east and west axial vary in number, size and style and are irregularly placed. The roof has a flat front and then 1/2 gable with a broken pediment going into a hip roof. The hip part of the roof has a gable dormer on the east side and a hip dormer on the south side.

  • Residence - 13 Apartments
  • Foundation - Rusticladed Stone
  • House Three story Eclectic design
  • Walls - Clapboard white - Framing method
  • Roof - Tar shingles – Flat sloping - Many styles
  • Garage - Cement poured construction
  • Clapboard with brown trim - Framing method
  • Roof - Tar shingles – Gable roof - two car stalls

602 3rd Street

Built in 1900. 1900 Clyde & Florence Tidball Clyde Tidball, a local druggist, had this home built from a compilation of several builders plans. The house features exposed rafters and brackets. The walls are of gray stucco and the gabled roof has a shed dormer and balcony-convenient for shaking second story rugs.

715 6th Avenue

According to a April 18, 1907 newspaper article B. T. Green was makings plans to build a home on the Gagel property. Recognized as one of the foremost physicians & surgeons of eastern South Dakota. Dr. B. T. Green began his practice of medicine here in January of 1904 & continued until February of 1931 when Dr. Myron Tank bought his practice. Green's national affiliation included serving as U.S. pension examiner & as a member of the Clinic Congress of Surgeons of North America. Stylistically the home is a generic South Dakota clapboard, frame structure. Its outstanding features are the south facade gambrel-roofed dormer inset with unique screened porch, with a similar screened porch inset in the gable end of the gambrel roof on the west facade.

720 6th Avenue

This simple frame structure was constructed by P. J. Bergeim as his private residence in 1897. Professor N. E. Hansen purchased this home as his residence in 1898. Hansen, Professor of Horticulture & Forestry at South Dakota State College, began his duties here in 1895. Beginning in 1894 & throughout his career, he studied Horticulture in Europe, Russia, China & Asia under Department of Agriculture experiments to find new plants & fruits suited to the cold & dry plains of the Northwest. Hansen was responsible for bringing several varieties of seeds & plants to America, including alfalfa, clover & several fruits & trees. Highlights of the home include the decorative bargeboard, the ornamentation on the dormer & the fish scale cladding on the gables. Originally an open porch was framed by a spindled railing.

727 Main Avenue

Ivan Cobel had this home constructed in 1920. The date coincides with the construction of the First National Bank at 327 Main Avenue. Ivan served as cashier at the bank under president George Cobel. The home is an excellent embodiment of the Prairie style that emphasizes extending the basic bungalow with broad horizontal lines & accenting the vertical lines. Special exterior features of the home include thick battered piers & porch columns, exposed pulins & rafters, & the cladding combination of clapboard, brick & concrete.

728 6th Avenue

According to property transfer records, C. G. Peterson acquired this property on May 28, 1894. Judging from the large increase in value of the property at the time he re-sells it, Peterson apparently built this home in 1894. Peterson first settled in Richland township in 1879 & farmed there until he moved to Brookings in 1894. His residency in the city was short lived since he moved to Elkton in 1898. Stylistically the house is a subtle example of the Queen Ann style with the turret, the clapboard & fish scale textures on the facade, & the lovely open porch framed with turned spindles & post reflective of Eastlake ornamentation.

729 6th Avenue

Peter O. Peterson family occupied this Victorian eclectic residence the week of Oct. 18, 1898. It was built by the contracting firm of Bergeim & Anderson, with the interior & exterior finishing by J.R. Post. P.O. Peterson came to America in 1852 & settled in Brookings County in 1879 as an Aurora township homesteader, representing one of the oldest Brookings County settlers. He was a farmer and served as County Register of Deeds in the 1880's. The latter part of the decade he became a partner with Judge J.O. Andrews in the real estate & loan business. The home is typical of South Dakota eclectic construction, with Victorian details including decorative bargeboard and fish scaling. Originally the home was graced with a wrap around porch decorated with turned spindles & posts.

804 6th Avenue

This Neo-Classical home was constructed in 1902 for Farmers National Bank President W. A. Caldwell, a prominent citizen in the early development of Brookings. Caldwell was a sponsor of the New Century Building on Main Street & a partner in a hardware & implement firm. Active in public service, he served as a city alderman, school board member & county commissioner. The structure is significant as an example of turn of the century Neo-Classical architecture with its pedimented portico supports by ionic columns, & decorated modillion & dentils beneath the eaves. Converted in 1929 to seven apartments. The multi family dwelling was renovated in 1986 to its restrained elegance.

Ben Reifel with the South Dakota Memorial Art Center board

Former Representative Ben Reifel (third from left in back row) served as a member of the South Dakota Memorial Art Center board of directors. South Dakota State University President Berg (first on left in back row) and President Briggs (fifth from left in back row) are also present

Results 1 to 100 of 728