Name and location of repository
Level of description
Chemistry and Biochemistry Department Records
- 1974-2007 (Accumulation)
0.42 linear feet (1 document case)
Name of creator
In the 1884-85 catalog, chemistry was listed as a course of study in agriculture as part of the Department of Natural Sciences. There were three chemistry courses: elementary chemistry, analytical chemistry and agricultural chemistry. By 1892, all students were required to take three terms of elementary chemistry with analytical chemistry and agricultural chemistry as electives. / In the 1897-98 catalog, chemistry was first listed as an independent department. By this time the course offerings had greatly expanded and included many additions to the curriculum. Expansion of the chemistry department continued over the years with courses being added nearly every three to five years. By 1944, the professional curriculum was approved by the American Chemical Society. / After World War II, enrollment increased, prompting an increase in staff. By 1958, the department was authorized to offer a Ph. D. in biochemistry and in 1965 was authorized to offer Ph. D.'s in most branches of chemistry. The Biochemistry Experiment Station was established in 1887 and was separate from the Chemistry Department until July 1, 1974 when the chemistry department and the Station Biochemistry Department merged. / In the 1998-2000 catalog, the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is listed as approved by the American Chemical Society for training professional chemists. Since chemistry is so closely related to other fields of study, a number of courses are offered to provide sufficient chemical background to meet professional needs. A minor in chemistry is provided for students who want more extensive chemistry without majoring in chemistry. Student may receive a BS in chemistry, or may pursue graduate work toward an MS or Ph. D.
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
Composed of composed mainly of the newsletter "Beaker Breaker" produced by the Chemistry Department from 1978 to 1987. Also included are programs for various lecture series sponsored by the department such as the Henry A. Lardy Distinguished Lecture Series in Chemistry, and the Joseph F. Nelson Mentorship Seminar in Chemistry and Biology.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
This collection is open to researchers without restrictions. The materials in the Archives do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers conducting extensive research are asked to make an advance appointment to access archival material. Please call or e-mail prior to visiting the collection and indicate as much detail as possible about a particular topic and intended use.
Conditions governing reproduction
South Dakota State University supports access to the materials, published and unpublished, in its collections. Nonetheless, access to some items may be restricted as a result of their fragile condition or by contractual agreements with donors.
Languages of the material