State University Theater Records

Rabbit Rarities: No Business Like Show Business Rabbit Rarities: Forever Raise The Song Or College Days Capers - Banquet Alpha Psi Omega 59th Annual Spring Banquet Alpha Psi Omega 61st Annual Spring Banquet Capers - This is it! The Night of Nights Rabbit Rarities: Dream Time Production: Story Theatre Correspondence Season Brochures Production: Footlight's Club Program

Identity elements

Reference code

UA 066

Level of description

Records

Title

State University Theater Records

Date(s)

  • 1931-2019 (Creation)

Extent

3.0 linear feet [3 record boxes]

Name of creator

Administrative history

The history of theater at South Dakota State University began with the formation of eight literary societies in the 1880s that eventually merged into a short-lived dramatic club in 1923. These early societies organized various farces and plays, and instituted theater traditions such as the Senior Class Play. In 1930, a new club called the Footlight club became the prominent dramatic society on campus. By 1939, plays on campus were officially under the supervision of the Forensics and Dramatics Council in the Speech Department. This council oversaw all plays in conjunction with the State Players Dramatic Club (founded in 1949).

A chapter of Alpha Psi Omega was officially organized in 1949 on the SDSU campus and was extremely active on campus in the 1950s. The first designated technical director of plays at SDSU was Lawrence Stine in 1952 and starting in 1953, SDSU student were eligible to receive college credit for participating in plays. In 1956, Broadway musicals entered the theater repertoire of SDSU, with their production of South Pacific (as one of the first non-professional group to ever run it). Summer theater productions were established at SDSU in 1956 and Rabbit Rarities and Vaudeville shows were also introduced in the 1950s.

State University Theatre eventually became a branch of the Department of Communication Studies and Theater but is also a part of the School of Preforming Arts at South Dakota State University. Plays and productions have been held in over 14 different facilities on campus with the most recent being the Doner Auditorium and the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center.

A chronological and conclusive history of the theatre programs at SDSU has only been recorded from 1892 – 1992. Documentation of the theater program after 1992 has been recoded but not yet complied into a conclusive history.

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

The collection is composed of programs, posters, season ticket brochures, and photographs from the plays, musicals, and revues produced by State University Theatre.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Arndt, Xavia Diane, "A History of Theatre at South Dakota State University 1892 Through Summer, 1972" (1972).

Karlen, Louis "Trey" W., "History of State University Theatre 1972 Through 1992" (1993).

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

Ask Us!

If you have questions or would like to schedule a visit, please let us know.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

ID

UA 66

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Accession area