Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Army Administration School (Brookings, S.D.)
Parallel form(s) of name
- Army Administration Schools, Enlisted Branch No. 3
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Army Administration Schools, Enlisted Branch No. 3 at South Dakota State College was organized December 3, 1942. As the name implies, the school originally set out to train clerks for general army administration duty in the Air Corps. A total of eleven such classes were graduated. On May 19, 1943, the classification course was added. The course consisted principally of classification subjects, however, some administration subjects were included for those students also. A total of six classes were graduated from this section of the school.
The Army Administration School students enjoyed jointly all of the facilities of South Dakota State College with the college students. The Army Administration School completely occupied the Central Building, Old North Building, East Men's Hall, West Men's Hall and Wecota Annex. An exchange was maintained in East Men's Hall for the convenience of the men. The health of the command was administered by local doctors; thus releasing medical officers for other duties.
A great deal of emphasis was placed on close order drill and orderly movements of the students from class to class. Retreat parades were a weekly event and several were in honor of dignitaries who visited the campus. Open and closing exercises were held in the college auditorium for each class. The personnel of the school assisted in the fall harvest of 1943 in the surrounding farming communities of Brookings, which was facing a shortage of civilian help for harvest needs.