Boarding Club (Dakota Agricultural College)
Boarding Club (Dakota Agricultural College)
The Brookings Civic League was organized on April 12, 1912, when forty women of Brookings met to organize a Civic League. Its purpose was "the consideration and discussion of civic and community problems with a view toward active participation in uplifting, improving and beautifying the city of Brookings, and to cooperate as an auxiliary with the Commercial Club in these matters." This club was organized largely through the efforts of Dr. A. A. Harris, the president of the Commercial Club and then Mayor of Brookings. The club went to work right away on improvement issues in Brookings. Garbage collection was its first milestone. The group arranged to have refuse cans placed at accessible locations on Main Street of Brookings by July 1912.
In 1914, the Women's Suffrage campaign was becoming an issue across the nation. The Brookings Civic League affiliated itself with the South Dakota Federation of Women's Clubs in February of that year to help in "the progress of all things pertaining to the welfare of women."
World War I broke out in Europe in 1916. By 1917, American men were called upon to serve their country. The Civic League did their part by organizing the Brookings Chapter of the American Red Cross. By 1919, many women's clubs were active in Brookings, each doing its own work with no cooperation between the groups. The Civic League called these clubs together and organized a City Federation. All women's organizations in the city of Brookings were eligible to join the City Federation, provided they had an organizational constitution.
Over the years, the Brookings Civic League has worked on many projects. In the 1920's, the Civic League worked diligently on cleaning up the city of Brookings. An anti-fly campaign was organized to alleviate the town of its persistent fly problem and an Annual Clean Up Week was begun in 1922. Some other projects include park beautification, tree conservation, bicycle safety, a swimming pool, public health, and a school milk program. The League sponsored the Farmers Ladies Lounge, a women's rest room that featured an attendant. It also helped in locating and establishing the South Dakota Art Museum on the South Dakota State University campus.
In recent years, the city of Brookings has taken over city improvement issues. Because of this, the Civic League has become less of a civic action group and more social in nature. Today, the Brookings Civic League still meets on a regular basis but with a new focus. Each year, the group sponsors a Craft & Collectibles Fair and donates the funds to the South Dakota Art Museum.
Brookings Reconciliation Council
Brookings Rotary Club (Brookings, S.D.)
Rotary International is an organization of business and professional leaders united worldwide, who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations and help build good will and peace in the world.
In 1905, four Chicago businessmen began to meet as a club to "kindle fellowship among members of the business community." As they continued to meet, adding others to the groups, they rotated their meetings among the members' places of business, hence the name. Soon after, other cities began organizing clubs. In 1910, Rotary became international when a club was formed in Canada. By 1921, the organization was represented on every continent and the name Rotary International was adopted in 1922.
The Brookings Rotary club was formed in 1919 when Ivan Cobel and Clyde Hinkley, Brookings, SD businessmen, thought that a Rotary Club would help bring businessmen of the community closer together. Other local businessmen were consulted and all supported it. Negotiations for a Brookings Rotary Club were conducted through the Watertown sponsoring club. A charter was granted and affiliation completed on February 1, 1920. Arthur Stoll was elected the first president. There were 21 charter members.
Over the years, the Brookings Rotary Club has been involved in many community projects. These have included providing instruments and uniforms for the Brookings High School band and sponsoring a Boy Scout troop, little league baseball teams, and hockey teams. The club was instrumental in initiating the idea for the Brookings United Retirement Center. They also began and ran the United Fund, supplied equipment for the Brookings Hospital and developed Rotary Park. The local club has also given financial support to various local community and youth activities.
Brookings Rotary Club members have been active in Rotary International with six members serving as District governors. They have also been involved in international projects. Local Rotarians collected books and shipped them to needy schools in South Africa and the Philippines. They have also contributed funds to the Rotary International Polio Plus program and to the Rotary International Foundation.
Brookings Rotary has sponsored young business and professional people from the Brookings area to serve on group study exchange teams. The teams visit other countries to study culture and businesses. The club also sponsors a four-year scholarship each year for Brookings students to attend South Dakota State University and give educational awards to students who spend one academic year abroad.
Brookings Rotary club continues to support local youth and civic projects in the Brookings area. Members from the business, industrial and educational communities continue to serve the community. Weekly meetings are held to promote fellowship and understanding in the local community, and listen to programs of interest.
Brookings Veterans Society (Brookings, S.D.)
The Brookings Veterans Society consisted of discharged and separated personnel of the United States Armed Forces that were registered as students at South Dakota State University. In the preamble to their constitution it is stated that they recognized their status as students, and in forming an organization, believed that their first responsibility was to further the interest, and welfare of the State University Student body. They also believed that their members had a common bond of experience and a slightly different viewpoint and interest in student activities and government. / Their purpose as stated in the constitution was to 1.) Uphold the South Dakota State University Student code and the educational mission of the institution. 2.) To provide a friendly atmosphere, to help, aid and assist new veteran students at State University. 3.) To present to the Veterans information and provide the opportunity for discussion of legislation of direct concern, of topics of general interest, and of vital political issue involving the University, the State, the Nations, and the World. 4.) To act in the general interest of Veterans and other students on campus issues. 5.) To attempt to improve classroom and living facilities at State University. 6.) To encourage Veterans to attend, remain in, or return to South Dakota State University.
Dairy Club (South Dakota State University)
The Dairy Club provides outstanding activities designed to provide valuable experience and entertainment for students interested in dairying.
Delta Kappa Gamma is an honorary society of professional women educators that promotes professional and personal growth in education and was founded in 1929. It strives towards a number of goals, including to unite women educators of the world in a genuine spiritual fellowship, to advance the professional interest and position of women in education, stimulate the personal and professional growth of its members and to encourage their participation in appropriate programs of action, to honor women who have given or who evidence a potential for distinctive service in any field of education, initiate endorse and support desirable legislation or other suitable endeavors in the interests of education and of women educators, endow scholarships to aid outstanding woman educators in pursuing graduate study and to grant fellowships to non-member women educators, and inform the members of current economic, social, political and educational issues so that they may participate effectively in a world society.
Economics Club (South Dakota State University)
The South Dakota State University Economics Club is a chapter of “The Student Section of the American Farm Economic Association”, which was founded in 1910. The Club adopted its constitution in 1955. The Club has three goals: to stimulate interest in the profession of Economics and related fields, foster a spirit of cooperation and mutual helpfulness among students in the Social Sciences, and provide an opportunity for wider acquaintances among students and professional workers in the Social Sciences. Membership consists of students actively interested in Economics and allied Social Sciences, as well as Economics graduate students and personnel of the teaching, research, and extension staff of Economics.
FarmHouse fraternity was founded on the University of Missouri campus on April 15, 1905. It developed out of an outgrowth of friendships formed among men within the College of Agriculture to perpetuate the congenial association of the men within the college. The intention was not to found a fraternity and hence, the club chose a non-Greek name, FarmHouse, to reflect the similar interests and backgrounds of those involved, but out of this organization grew a national Greek fraternity. / The Brookings chapter of FarmHouse began in the 1950's. Their objective is to encourage the growth of a man intellectually, spiritually, socially, morally and physically. It promoted growth through providing opportunities and encouraging leadership, scholarship and fellowship. The FarmHouse fraternity is a dry house, meaning it does not allow alcohol. It is involved in many activities including adopt-a-highway and providing help to domestic abuse shelters.
Freemasons. Grand Lodge of the State of South Dakota
Future Farmers of America, Scotland SD Chapter
Gamma Sigma Delta, also known as the Honor Society of Agriculture, is a professional agricultural fraternity. The South Dakota State University chapter of the society was established on May 27, 1958. The chapter encourages and recognizes high standards and achievement in agriculture. A national conclave of Gamma Sigma Delta was held at SDSU in 1974; the themes was “Agriculture in the Modern World.” The chapter was the Gamma Sigma Delta bronze runner-up in the Outstanding Chapter Award in 2010 and won the Chapter Enrichment Grant in 1998. Only one member of the chapter has won The International Distinguished Service to Agriculture Award, Dr. Oscar E. Olson won the award in 1979.
General Federation of Women's Clubs of South Dakota
GFWC Brookings was organized on March 24, 1977 as Community Federation Women. Community Federated Women changed its name to GFWC Brookings in 1983 to be more closely identified with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. The club was first organized ... »
GFWC Brookings was organized on March 24, 1977 as Community Federation Women. Community Federated Women changed its name to GFWC Brookings in 1983 to be more closely identified with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. The club was first organized because its four charter members served as representatives of Brookings County women’s organizations to the City Federation of Women’s Clubs. GFWC has standing committees for each of the six GFWC departments and several special committee appointments such as Public Relations/ Communications, Legislation, Membership, Community Improvement Program, Awards, University Week for Women, SD Clubwoman, Historian and Brookings Youth Community Improvement Programs. GFWC Brookings has been active in many programs including the Brookings Youth Community Improvement Programs, Walking Challenge, and South Dakota Public Broadcasting Telethon.
Home Demonstration Agents Association. South Dakota
Home Economics Association. South Dakota
Kappa Delta Pi (Honor society)
Kappa Epsilon Chi Chapter at South Dakota State University began when the Galen Society was organized in February 1955. It became a part of Kappa Epsilon on March 24, 1956 after the girls of the Galen Society met with North Dakota’s Iota Chapter of Kappa Epsilon. Twenty-one members and one advisor, Mrs. G.C. Gross, were initiated into the fraternity. / Over the years, Chi Chapter has been active on campus and within the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions. Chi Chapter has been supporting Kappa Epsilon’s national project of breast cancer awareness for many years. Traditional events and activities including participating in the SDSU Wellness Fair, collecting Yoplait yogurt lids, and distributing pink ribbons. The newest additions to Chi Chapter’s support of breast cancer awareness are the breast cancer baskets for local chemotherapy patients, the Black and Pink Party, and Relay for Life. / Chi Chapter has received several recognitions from the national fraternity over the years. Chi Chapter was recognized as the Outstanding Collegiate Kappa Epsilon Chapter in 2002-2003. Chi Chapter’s longtime advisor, Dr. Joye Billow, has received numerous recognition's over her time as advisor including the Outstanding Advisor Award, the Unicorn Award, and the Career Achievement Award. Many KE members have been recipients of the Zada M. Cooper Scholarship, and three Chi alums have received the Nellie Wakeman Graduate Fellowship.
Kappa Epsilon Chi Chapter at South Dakota State University began when the Galen Society was organized in February 1955. It became a part of Kappa Epsilon on March 24, 1956 after the girls of the Galen Society met with North Dakota's Iota Chapter of Kappa Epsilon. Twenty-one members and one advisor, Mrs. G.C. Gross, were initiated into the fraternity.
Over the years, Chi Chapter has been active on campus and within the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions. Chi Chapter has been supporting Kappa Epsilonâ€™s national project of breast cancer awareness for many years. Traditional events and activities including participating in the SDSU Wellness Fair, collecting Yoplait yogurt lids, and distributing pink ribbons. The newest additions to Chi Chapterâ€™s support of breast cancer awareness are the breast cancer baskets for local chemotherapy patients, the Black and Pink Party, and Relay for Life.
Chi Chapter has received several recognitions from the national fraternity over the years. Chi Chapter was recognized as the Outstanding Collegiate Kappa Epsilon Chapter in 2002-2003. Chi Chapterâ€™s long time advisor, Dr. Joye Billow, has received numerous recognition's over her time as advisor including the Outstanding Advisor Award, the Unicorn Award, and the Career Achievement Award. Many KE members have been recipients of the Zada M. Cooper Scholarship, and three Chi alums have received the Nellie Wakeman Graduate Fellowship.
Miltonian Literary Society (South Dakota State College)
The Miltonian Literary Society was one of the first social groups to be founded on State's campus. It was organized as the Lyceum Club in the early 1880's and membership was restricted to men. In 1887, the club divided and formed another society, the Athenian Literary Society, which included both sexes on its roll call. In 1892, the club drew up a new charter and organized under the title of the Miltonian Literary Society. The Miltonian's directed their energies into forensics, dramatics, and social channels. The purpose of the society was to foster training along forensic, dramatic and social lines. Activities of the society included contests in debate, oratory, extempore speaking, dramatic reading, and one-act plays. The Society existed on campus until the early 1930's.
National Association of Extension Home Economists (U.S.)
National Association of Retired Federal Employees
The National Association of Retired Federal Employees is a nonprofit organization that works with retired federal employees and their families by advocating for their retirement benefits at the local, state, and national levels.
Non-Traditional Student Club (South Dakota State University)
The purpose of the Non-Traditional Student Club was to bring together persons interested in lifelong learning, to increase opportunities for lifelong learning to a more diverse range of students, to provide an opportunity for members with varied backgrounds and interests to share their lifelong learning experiences, and to provide encouragement and information to any person interested in the educational opportunities that South Dakota State University provided. Membership was open to all students interested in lifelong learning with associate membership being open to university staff members and prospective students.
Olson, Alec G. (Alec Gehard), 1930-
Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society (South Dakota State University)
The primary objective of the national Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi is the recognition and encouragement of superior scholarship in all academic disciplines. The Society is convinced that in recognizing and honoring those persons of good character who have excelled in scholarship, in whatever field, it will stimulate others to strive for excellence. Moreover, the Society serves the interests of the student capable of excellence by insisting that in order to acquire a chapter of Phi Kappa Phi, an institution provide the means and atmosphere conducive to academic excellence. Admission to the Society is by invitation only and requires nomination and approval by a chapter in accordance with the by-laws of both the chapter and the national Society. Both require superior scholarship and good character as criteria for membership. Every chapter must hold at least two meetings a year and is encouraged to be active in various ways. The date of establishment of Phi Kappa Phi on the South Dakota State University campus is unknown at the time of this writing.
Phi Upsilon Omicron (South Dakota State University)
In 1933, the students at South Dakota State College started the groundwork to apply to be chartered in Phi Upsilon Omicron, the Home Economics Honor Society. They were encouraged by Dean Edith Pierson and Laura McArthur. Ms. McArthur taught Home Economics Education courses and was an alumni member of Alpha Chapter. These two faculty members helped students gather information and provided contacts to help with the process. The seniors worked hard on the groundwork, Phi chapter was chartered on May 19, 1934, and the seniors graduated a week later. Members of Alpha and Beta Chapters organized the installation ceremony which was conducted by Priscilla Rowland, National Phi U President. The ceremony was held in the Foods Lab when it was in the Administration Building. / The following students were initiated in May 1934 and the seniors graduated a week later. The first President of Phi Chapter was Merle (La Mont) Gunsalus who was a junior during the Installation Ceremony. / In 2008, Phi Upsilon Omicron is a Family and Consumer Sciences Honor Society which stresses professional works and service to the campus and community. It is an honor to be accepted as a member of Phi U, but along with the honor goes the responsibility of being a member of an active organization. / One of the goals of the Phi U is to help members become professionals in their field. Professionalism is gained not only through a college degree, but also through experiences one receives in college and related activities. / Each year Phi U has a professional project that promotes involvement with the campus and community. Phi U also has activities with the alumni chapter. / Students who have a 3.2 GPA and who have accumulated 40 credit hours are invited to join. We look for qualities of excellence in scholarship, leadership, and service in possible members.
Prairie Striders Running Club (Brookings : S.D.)
The Prairie Striders Running Club was established in Brookings, South Dakota in 1969 by community members Jay Dirksen, Russ Strande, Howard Sauer, Lyle Derscheid, Keith Morrill, Bruce Berger, Lornie Bartling, Bob Bartling, Harvey Mills, Scott Underwood, Don Solsvig, and Jim Egeberg. The Prairie Striders Running Club is a non-profit organization and Amateur Athletic Union with the goal of bringing together jogging and running enthusiast and promoting running in South Dakota. The club holds local running events including 5k, 8k, Jackrabbit 15, and Longest Day Marathon races. The club produces a newsletter and provides running resources for members. They cover club events, information on state high school events, regional collegiate races, and national races connected to members and their families as well as record breaking or historical content from the world of competitive racing.
Reel Images Film Society (South Dakota State University)
The Reel Images Film Society is a group of individuals that consists of faculty, staff, and students, as well as some Brookings community members. This group screens movies that are not generally shown at local theaters or found in video stores. A different movie is shown each month throughout the academic year. Each year features a different theme.
The National Chapter of Scabbard and Blade was founded in 1904 at the University of Wisconsin. The 1st Company, 6th Regiment of Scabbard and Blade was installed at South Dakota State College, May 15, 1927. The purpose of Scabbard and Blade was to aid in raising the standard of military drill in American colleges and universities, to unite in closer relationship their military departments, to encourage and foster the essential qualities of good and efficient officers, and to promote intimacy and good fellowship among the cadets. R.O.T.C. Cadets had to be enrolled in the advanced course before they were considered as prospective members for Scabbard and Blade. Qualifications for membership in the fraternity were similar to those found in other honorary fraternities. The cadet elected had to possess such qualities as efficiency, patriotism, obedience, honor, courage and good fellowship. This organization remained on the campus of South Dakota State University through sometime in the 1970s.
SDSU Club (South Dakota State University)
The South Dakota Theta chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was installed at South Dakota State University on February 27, 1971. The mission of Sigma Alpha Epsilon is to promote the highest standards of friendship and service to its members based upon the ideals set forth by its founders and a specifically enunciated True Gentlemen oath. Among the principles of SAE is developing in its members a sense of duty through social interactions, service and community outreach, fostering personal development including leadership, scholarship, citizenship, social and moral responsibility and developing, maintaining and enforcing standards and expectations for the conduct of its members within and outside of the fraternity.
After South Dakota State University’s College of Nursing received National League of Nursing accreditation in 1960, nursing students (assisted by faculty member Evelyn Peterson) applied to form the Phi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, which was approved at their national biennial meeting in October, 1961 as its 19th chapter. / Sigma Theta Tau International is an international Honor Society for Nursing; Sigma Theta Tau are the initials of the Greek words “Soma, Tharos, and Tima,” which mean “Love, Courage, Honor.” Its first chapter was founded in 1922 at Indiana University; it now has chapters in more than 650 colleges and universities in 90 countries. Its mission is to advance world health and celebrate nursing excellence in scholarship, leadership, and service, which it does by funding research and scholarships, supporting nursing research conferences, offering online continuing nursing education, etc. To be considered for membership, undergraduate students in their fourth or fifth semester need to rank in the upper 35 percent of the graduating class. For graduate students or nurse leaders, the individuals need to demonstrate achievement in the nursing profession. / SDSU’s Phi Chapter sponsors an annual Distinguished Lecture and, together with Augustana University’s Zeta Zeta Chapter, sponsors an annual research day in support of research/scholarship of practicing nurses and students. It also sponsors student poster presentations on evidence-based practices. In addition, Phi Chapter has service projects addressing both local and international humanitarian needs. It inducted 69 students in April, 2016. It also has a West River Branch in Rapid City.
South Dakota State University. Eminent Farmer and Homemaker Program
The Eminent Farmer and Homemaker Program has been a program of South Dakota State University since 1927. In that first year, following a campaign by the Farmer magazine and the South Dakota Agricultural Extension Service, the South Dakota Board of Regents named two South Dakota farmers Eminent Farmers. In addition to the degree granted by the Board of Regents, the farmer's portraits were hung on the wall in Agricultural Hall in what became known as the "Wall of Fame". In 1928, the Eminent Farmers were joined by two Master Farm Homemakers, a title granted by the Farmer's Wife magazine and the South Dakota Agricultural Extension Service. Women in 12 other states also received the citation, which began as an effort to heighten awareness of the role the farm home played in the community. These Master Homemakers also had portraits placed on the wall and were given the citation in a ceremony taking place at the same time as the Eminent Farmer ceremony. Beginning in 1935, the women's title changed to Eminent Farm Homemaker and the women, along with the men, were granted the degree by the South Dakota Board of Regents. Later still, the title evolved to its current name Eminent Homemaker.
In the early years, the Board of Regents actually granted an honorary degree to the chosen nominees. In the 1950's, the terms were clarified to set the citations apart from that of an honorary degree yet are still a great honor. Today, the College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, the College of Family and Consumer Sciences and the Cooperative Extension Service jointly administer the Eminent Farmer and Homemaker program at South Dakota State University. The college deans and the director of the Extension Service appoint a committee made up of faculty and staff of the respective divisions to take responsibility for the program. Each spring, this committee sends out a letter to County Extension offices asking for nominations and alerts the news media that nominations are being sought. The committee makes recommendations based upon the nominees' contributions to their communities, their families and the professions. Their final recommendations are sent to the president of South Dakota State University for approval and then forwarded to the Board of Regents for final approval.
In 2019, the name of the program was changed to Eminent Leaders in Agriculture, Family, and Community.
South Dakota Association for Family and Community Education
The work in home economics extension has from the outset been organized largely on a neighborhood or community basis, with counties having anywhere from one to several individual clubs. When communities had several well-established local home demonstration clubs, a county demonstration council was organized, made up of representatives from the local clubs. One of its main functions was to advise the home demonstration agent in shaping the county program and plans. There was also a state council of home demonstration clubs. The state council usually held its annual meeting during the State Farm and Home Week. From this committee, suggestions for the work of the succeeding year are sent to all county councils. / Farmers' Institute was a program held by universities featuring lectures dealing with farm and home topics. Every institute made homemaking a large part of the program allowing women to share with the men the full benefits of the lectures and discussions. Community clubs of rural women, who belonged to the Farmers' Institute, preceded Extension clubs in South Dakota. These community clubs supplied their own programs and they met in rural churches or in larger homes. / Venia Keller was appointed as the first women Extension worker after the Smith Lever Act of 1914 was enacted. The work of the first Extension specialists was almost entirely in connection with Farmers' Institute and homemakers’ clubs but some demonstrations were given at county fairs. With very few exceptions each group had a woman member who demonstrated and lectured on some phase of food preparation. In 1918 there were many changes. Work in foods consisted of preservation and conservation; and poultry raising and child feeding were adopted as topics for the specialists. During World War I the Federal Food Production Act provided money for the employment of county home demonstration agents. All of these agents worked with the Food Administration during the war. Their projects included saving wheat, fats and sugar, and the use of meat substitutes and canning campaigns. During the summer special demonstrations were given on uses for cottage cheese. / The 1920's began with plans for holding nine demonstrations of foods and nutrition for organized homemaker's clubs in four counties. More and more home demonstration agent districts were being added. Leader training meetings in foods and nutrition were initiated. In 1923 the nutrition program was broken up to include three food, three clothing, and three home management meetings. During the late 1920's Mary Dolve supervised a drive to find out what the needs of the homemakers were concerning foods and nutrition. Questionnaires were sent to 875 clubs and discussions were held at training schools and local meetings. Extension specialists received a fair indication of what they could do to help the homemakers. / In 1928 money was made available for expansion of home extension work through the Capper-Ketcham Act, which meant that home agents served only three counties instead of four. The founding meeting for the South Dakota Federation of Home Demonstration Clubs was on September 12, 1928 at the State Fair grounds. Mrs. Perry Clifford of Cresbard was named chairman. The first organizational meeting was held during the Farmer's Short Course in February, 1929. Nineteen official delegates from fourteen counties voted to make the Federation a reality and a constitution was adopted. Two yearly meetings were held: a business meeting during the State Fair and an education meeting during Farm and Home Week at South Dakota State University. Individual clubs were encouraged to join. / The purpose of the state council was to exchange ideas about homes and the Extension Service did their part by offering educational materials and planning help. Early projects of the Federation included contests, which supplemented the educational lessons of the clubs. A state wide contest included publicity, awards for poultry and egg recipes; and ironing, bread baking, and vegetable preparation contests. / During the depression of the 1930's, the council managed to stay active by holding district meetings in four areas of the state. This allowed members to attend meeting without having the added expense of travel. In the 1940's, the Farm and Home Week was discontinued, so speakers and demonstrators for that event spoke at the district meetings instead. In 1950, the first money-raising project was begun. Clubs contributed funds to bring an exchange student from Germany to South Dakota to study home economics and extension at South Dakota State University for one year. Extension clubs have also contributed money to the Crippled Children's Hospital and the South Dakota Art Museum. / During the 1970's a new policy was developed and each meeting was to be planned separately by local leaders. The chief function of the meeting is to strengthen county participation, promote the projects and activities of the Council, and foster old and new friendships. / While the council has changed its name over the years from South Dakota Home Demonstration Clubs to South Dakota Home Extension Homemakers Clubs and eventually South Dakota Community & Family Extension Leaders, the main purpose has basically remained the same: to promote the improvement of home and community life.
South Dakota State University. Stakota Club
The Stakota Club was organized in the early 1940's and was originally called the Cottontails. The Cottontails were reorganized in order to establish a more unified pep organization. It was a co-ed group that was selective in its membership. The club's primary purpose was to promote pep and spirit at university basketball and football games. Dressed in navy and white, the coeds did pom-pom routines to the music of the pep band. The club also promoted school spirit by shouting along with the cheerleaders during games. The club occasionally traveled with the sport teams to away games. The Jackrabbit mascot was sponsored by this group. The Stakota Club sponsored Pep Week, which included electing a Pep King and Queen and holding an annual banquet and dance. In addition, the members served coffee after football games, helped with registration during Parents' Day and held a spring car wash. In April 1969, the Stakota Club decided to go inactive indefinitely due to lack of sufficient membership to conduct business.
South Dakota State University. Wildlife and Fisheries Conservation Club
Women Artists in Collaboration
Women Artists in Collaboration was created in 1985 at Brookings, South Dakota. It started out as a small group of women who had joined together when the Brookings Women's Center sponsored a presentation by women artists. Finding the collaboration stimulating, these women continued to work together. The group was made up of "whoever was willing to contribute" and changed from year to year. Friends of the Arts and the Brookings Women's Center provided funding for the group.
Since November 14, 1897, the Young Men's Christian Association had an active organization on the campus of South Dakota State College. It was always active and influential in student activities. The aim was to develop the individual in mind, body and spirit. It promoted the growth of Christian faith together with the furtherance of good character, citizenship and leadership. The group held weekly fellowship meeting, promoted deputation work, maintained an employment bureau, and furnished reading rooms, rest rooms and recreational facilities. The group was governed by a cabinet and its members held office for one year. / The Young Women's Christian Association was open to all young women. The aim of this group was to develop a full and creative life, spiritually and socially. It also gave an opportunity for the wholesome expression of Christian activities. This group was also governed by a cabinet and held joint meetings with the YMCA.